Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg resurrected their deceased friend Tupac Shakur at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, California this year, and Dre put the tour rumors to rest. Tupac will most definitely not go on tour unless there is a tour. Thanks for clearing that up, Dre!
Posts Tagged ‘coachella’
If you’re like me and heading to Coachella this weekend, the wait for set times is finally over. What are some conflicts that are going to keep you awake the next three nights? (Click each image for a larger view.)
If you want to follow my goings on at Coachella, find me on Twitter: @grantruby.
Goldenvoice, the folks behind the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, began dropping artists for this year’s festival(s) last week. Two Three more artists were “announced” this weekend. With the full lineup set to be announced this week (and rumors having it set to be announced Tuesday), these are likely the last ones before we get the whole thing. Enjoy.
Breakbot is a French DJ who has found success in recent years with the singles released through Ed Banger Records. Especially the one above, “Baby I’m Yours.” This guy is fantastic, and I hope there isn’t a conflict that I have to decided upon.
Housse de Racket, another French group, was also announced this weekend. They toured the US in the fall with fellow Frenchie Yelle, and they’re coming back this spring for Coachella.
The Weeknd has been one of the breakthrough artists of 2011, with no official album released. He has, however, released three unofficial “mixtapes” that are absolutely brilliant. This artist, more than any other announced to date, is the most exciting part of Coachella this year. So stoked!
So far the confirmed lineup includes:
Atari Teenage Riot
Housse de Racket
I’ll let you know as more artists are announced for this year’s festival.
Much like they did last year, the folks behind the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival are dropping one video each day as they build up to the release of the full lineup. Last year they posted six videos before giving us the full lineup; they’ve already dropped three this year. One of which has me excited for a new up-and-coming artist that is sure to make a splash in 2012.
The first of the videos to be posted, Azealia Banks is set to have a real impact on music in 2012. This song is a JAM, and reminds me of the ethos of Lil Kim or Nicki Minaj, but listenable. Warning: Put on your headphones, the lyrics are NSFW.
I’m no proponent of dubstep, but araabMUZIK is ridiculous with his drum machine. I bet he killed on the NES back in the day. Also, he’s already better than Skrillex because he actually plays his music live rather than just hitting play on his laptop and having a drink while people try to dance.
The third video to posted is from reggae legend Jimmy Cliff. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010, Cliff is credited as one of the artists responsible for making reggae a worldwide phenomenon.
Who do you want to see on the poster when Coachella releases the full lineup?
Posted in Concerts, Music, tagged a beuford gifford's, best coast, brand new, bring me the horizon, broken spells, bumbershoot, cage the elephant, coachella, codi jordan band, concerts, death cab for cutie, deck the hall ball, electric six, empire polo field, Foster the People, grouplove, house of blue, in the venue, key arena, kilby court, king niko, list, long distance operator, mumford & sons, neon trees, pendulum, people under the stairs, ratatat, rice-eccles stadium, scenic byway, seattle center, She Wants Revenge, showbox sodo, sleeper agent, soundgarden, star bar, the black angels, the californian, the complex, the constellations, the gorge, the steelwells, the suicycles, the vera project, two door cinema club, u2, urban lounge, wavves, young the giant on December 8, 2011 | 2 Comments »
- Jan 20: Neon Trees with the Codi Jordan Band at the House of Blues Foundation Room at Star Bar, Park City, UT
- Jan 22: People Under the Stairs with Scenic Byway at Urban Lounge, Salt Lake City, UT
- Feb 15: Best Coast with Wavves at Urban Lounge
- Feb 17: Pendulum at In the Venue, SLC, UT
- Feb 25: King Niko, the Suicycles, Broken Spells at A Beuford Gifford’s Libation Emporium, Provo, UT
- Mar 5: King Niko, Long Distance Operator, the Suicycles at Bar Deluxe, SLC, UT
- Mar 18: The Codi Jordan Band with King Niko at the Complex, SLC, UT
- Mar 22: She Wants Revenge with The Californian at Bar Deluxe
- Mar 29: Foster the People with Grouplove and the Steelwells at Kilby Court, SLC, UT
- Mar 29: Electric Six with the Constellations at Urban Lounge
- Apr 15-17: Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival at Empire Polo Field, Indio, CA
- Apr 20: The Codi Jordan Band at the Complex
- May 6: The Black Angels at Urban Lounge
- May 24: U2 at Rice-Eccles Stadium, SLC, UT
- Jun 4: Ratatat at the Complex
- Jun 7: Foster the People at Urban Lounge
- Jul 30: Soundgarden at the Gorge, George, WA
- Sep 4-5: Bumbershoot Music and Arts Festival (Day Two and Day Three) at Seattle Center, Seattle, WA
- Sep 6: Bring Me the Horizon at Showbox SoDo, Seattle, WA
- Sep 7: Brand New at Showbox SoDo
- Oct 2: Sleeper Agent at the Vera Project, Seattle, WA
- Oct 22: Death Cab For Cutie at Key Arena, Seattle WA
- Dec 7: 1077 the end’s Deck the Hall Ball with Mumford & Sons, Death Cab For Cutie, Cage the Elephant, Foster the People, Young the Giant, Two Door Cinema Club and Grouplove at Key Arena
I just saw this on Tumblr a minute ago. Music festivals in America are a great place to find hipsters, assuming you’re looking for them. Goldenvoice, the people behind the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, looks to be putting on the hipster version of the Gathering of the Juggalos. Meaning, if you’re not a hipster it appears that you will be very much out of place at this festival. What does it say about me that I totally love the lineup and want to go?
And just so the don’t look too hipster, they put three punk bands on the bill. “See, we’re not just a hipster festival!”
Here’s the full linep:
You can find more info about the event at fyffest.com.